Saturday, September 19, 2009

On a Pillow of Egg


Beth's Cafe on Aurora in Seattle has been around since 1954 and they are famous for their omelettes. They only have two sizes there, the six egg and the 12 egg and each omelette comes with toast and all you can eat hashbrowns. Although I have never tried the 12 egg, I have had to split the six egg with a friend.

Beth's does carry a full menu of diner fare, including sandwiches and burgers, plus breakfast that is served 24 hours a day. As you sit down at a table, you can look around at the artwork on the walls. The walls are coated with crayon art from patrons of the restaurant. Blank paper and crayons are available at the front counter.

The omelette that we ordered came on a platter sitting on top of a slab of hashbrowns with four triangles of toast sitting on the side. You have your choice of white, wheat, sourdough, rye, or English Muffin. The sourdough smelled and tasted like it came straight from San Francisco.

The eggs of the omelette were fluffy, giving way to my fork easily. The cheese inside was melted and the veggies were soft without being over cooked. The hashbrowns were crispy on the outside without being too greasy on the inside.

As I said, although I have never attempted the 12 egg monster, I have had the luck of being at Beth's when someone has ordered it. Although he made it through the throw pillow sized egg concoction, he didn't quite finish the toast and hashbrowns. I give him a lot of credit for getting as far with it as he did.



Before: A pillow of egg.



After: Just some hashbrowns and toast left.

2 comments:

  1. That looks so tasty! Someone once promised to take me to Beth's...maybe someday I will still get the chance. I love breakfast for dinner!

    ReplyDelete